Landscape photo taken from the hillside southwest of Fort Stanton. Featured in the center of the photo is the old fort cemetery with a beautiful picket fence. This photo was taken in 1886.
This is the Fort Stanton Sutler's store located just to the west of the parade ground about 100 yards behind Officer Quarters 13. This is another in the series taken in March of 1887 and in a better quality image, you can see Sierra Blanca with a fresh coat of snow. Several Mescalero Apaches can be seen in front of the building as well as several civilians.
Officer's Quarters (Late 1870)
Taken in front of the commanding officer's quarters in late 1870, this photograph features several prominent people in Fort Stanton's history. From left to right: Cpt. Joseph Gibson, Post Surgeon Lt. Orsemus Boyd, 8th Cavalry (seated) Emil Fritz, post sutler Lt. Casper Conrad, 15th Infantry Cpt. William McCleave, 8th Cavalry (seated, Officer of the Day) Cpt. Chambers McKibbin, 15th Infantry Mary McKibbin, wife of Cpt. Mckibbin Lt. Richard Williams, 8th Cavalry Frances Boyd, wife of Lt. Boyd Lawrence Murphy, post sutler
Murphy and Fritz, both former soldiers at Fort Stanton, would be the focal point of the famous 'Lincoln County War'. McKibbin was in command of the fort when this photo was taken in place of the absent Lieutenant Colonel August V. Kautz. Conrad would make several trips into the nearby Fort Stanton Cave, once attempting to float a small boat in its flooded chambers. Mrs. Boyd would later write a book entitled 'Cavalry Live in Tent and Field' based on her experiences as an Army wife.
PHOTO: Fort Stanton Buildings 1922
PHOTO: Two man barrack room
Internment camp, two man barrack room, Fort Stanton, NM.
An early view of the internment camp with Fort Stanton in the background.
Buildings 4, 5 and 6 on the east side of the parade ground taken about 1892. Building 4 was an officer's quarters showing recent renovations. Originally built as a duplex, in 1887 it was expanded to be a quadplex with the addition of back wings for kitchens. The second story was added as well as bay windows and small front porches. Building 5 was the quartermaster warehouse and 6 was a barracks. The very corner of building 7 appears and was also a barracks. Of note is the remnant of the acequia constructed around the parade ground bringing fresh water to the fort from the Rio Bonito. Much of this has been covered to make a board walk. Also note the gas light fixtures along the boardwalk.
The Fort Stanton Hospital had its own baseball team! As early as 1908, and possibly during its tenure as a military post, Fort Stanton had a team that played around Lincoln County and the surrounding area. The photo shows an early Fort Stanton team made up of primarily tubercular patients and at least one hospital staff member (in the military uniform).
Columbus Crewman Disembark Train
Sailors from the SS Columbus disembark the train at the Carrizozo station and are greeted by the Border Patrol and Captain Daehne.
Columbus Crewmen Board Buses
Under the supervision of the US Border Patrol, Columbus crewmen board buses bound for Fort Stanton.